a scattered people
This Sunday (26th April) sees the launch of our new Sunday morning series a scattered people. Our new preaching programme will take us through the whole summer and cover three different topics:
Winter of Discontent
Who’d want Jeremiah’s job?
We don’t know what he’d planned to do with his life, but he is constrained by the Lord to stand up to a society that was running out of control.
Nobody listened, nobody cared.
And it all came crashing down around their ears.
But the Lord had promised to rescue Jeremiah, and to restore his people… ready for the day of the Messiah.
- 26th April – The Call of the Prophet (Jeremiah 1)
- 3rd May – Two sins, the Word twice (Jeremiah 2)
- 10th May – From Jeremiah’s point of view (Jeremiah 12,20)
- 17th May – The First Born (Jeremiah 18)
- 24th May – Crushing the head (Jeremiah 24)
- 31st May – Provision in the desert (Jeremiah 29)
How to Live in Exile
When the new testament church began, it was a marginalised sect, blessed but oppressed, sowing and growing but exposed and opposed.
Christianity, today, is now nearer to a marginalised sect as it was for Peter in the first century.
How were the people to live in those days, and what does that teach us about how we should live?
- 7th June – A People in Exile (1 Peter 1:1-12)
- 14th June – Sharing Lives in Exile (1 Peter 1:13-2:8)
- 21st June – Caring Lives in Exile (1 Peter 1:22-2:3)
- 28th June – Reaching Out in Exile (1 Peter 2:9-3:16)
- 5th July – Speaking Out in Exile (1 Peter 3:15-16)
- 12th July – The glory of the Lord (1 Peter 3:17-5:8)
In the Lion’s Den
Daniel and his friends are another example to us of life in Exile. He serves in a high position in society, but is still called to stand firm in the face of hostile opposition.
And we’re reminded that human empires rise and fall, and that even kings can be humbled and turn to worship the true and living God…
And it all leads up to the time when the true king would finally be revealed… but wait ‘til September for that!
- 26th July- The Civil Servant (Daniel 1)
- 2nd August – I Dreamed a Dream (Daniel 2)
- 9th August – When in Babylon… do NOT do as the Babylonians do… (Daniel 3)
- 16th August – In Your Wildest Dreams (Daniel 4)
- 23rd August – The Writing on the Wall (Daniel 5)
- 30th August – The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Daniel 6)